Tuesday 23 August 2011

My Lonely Path


He handed me the pen knife,
I handed him a five hundred shilling note,
"Thank you god bless you, tank you,"
I didn't need the pen knife at all,
But  he hadn't sold a thing that day,
If I didn't buy something from him,
He would sleep hungry,
It was either the fake sunglasses,
Or the pen knife,
I opted the pen knife,
I put it in my back pocket,
It was a crowded street,
Everyone else had one small shopping bag,
We were all running out of Nakumatt,
It was the only shop open,
It was getting dark,
No one wanted to be late,
I had too much luggage with me,
Mine were the biggest,
And the heaviest,ever as everyone was running home in a rush,
I was trying to run but could only walk,
My shopping bags were slowing me down,
I couldn't hurry,
I had too many things to carry,
They were too heavy,
And they were dragging me down,
Soon I would be alone on the street,
At that rate I knew it for sure,
I was alone I knew,
I heard the sound of bullets,
And my body froze,
I started to run towards home,
With the luggage I had,
And when I thought everything was okay,
I paced down,
I wasn't going to be a victim that night,
A cold metal touched the back of my neck,
And a cold arm touched my shoulder,
My wisdom advice me not to turn back,
"Don't run sweetheart,"
"Your phone mister?"
You are going through my phone?
"Don't look back,"
"hehe you were calling mama?"
"Were are your balls young man,"
The hand undid my zip,
The gun was pressing harder behind my neck,
my balls were grabbed,
They were squeezed,
sharp nails dug into them,
I must have bled a bit,
And she laughed,
I elbowed her,
And she got angry,
She threw my phone on the floor,
So that it cracked,
"Let me show you whose boss darling,"
I had made her angry,
She forced me into a darker alley,
Like a slave carrying everything I had bought,
I was facing a wall,
She put me on my knees,
Tied my legs with the guitar string I had bought,
She gagged me with the red tie I had bought,
I could smell the condoms,
At least I had bought condoms,
You know how condoms stretch,
She tied my arms with them,
"I call the shots here,"
"You hear me?"
"no more funny business"
She picked an apple from the shopping bag,
Took a bite,
For a girl she really had poor eating habits,
I could here her flip the pages,
Probably it was the bible?
Maybe it will change her,
Oh God I hope she reads a verse that changes her,
Or maybe it was the Shakespeare novels,
There were so many books i had bought,
She had stopped flipping the pages,
"mmhhh William Tell"
So it was history....
I wished it was the bible,
"Even Einstein wouldn't read such a complex book,"
"You think you are Einstein,"
"Free yourself,"
She hit me with the barrel of the gun,
"smart ass, tell me about William tell"
"I love a good story"
And I told her about how William Tell was a marks man,
How he was punished by the king unathodoaxly,
How he was paraded before a crowd,
An apple was put on his son's head,
And he was asked to shoot at it,
If he missed his son would be...
"enough... Don't bore me!"
"I will be William Tell"
"you will be my son..."
I love acting,
"Do you love acting?"
That is something we can try together,
She placed the half eaten apple on my head,
She walked away,
Tic tok tic tok the sound of her heels,
"is this far enough for you honey?"
I wished she was an accurate shooter,
Like William Tell's son wished his dad was an accurate shooter,
But this wasn't the same,
If she was an accurate shooter,
And aimed for my head?
She didn't love me so much to try to be accurate,
She didn't know me leave alone love me like a father loves his son,
If she missed it even by an inch,
My brains would be scattered on the floor,
Puff,
Waiting to wake up in heaven,
The apple was scattered in a hundred pieces,
Lying on the floor,
If she missed it I would be dead,
She sent six bullets,
They tore page after page,
The noisy pages flew on the floor,
She was the most accurate shooter I knew,
She took out my wallet from my pocket,
And placed it on my head,
And she shoot at it,
In an instant it was down,
I started to cry,
Sniffing back my running nose,
I knew I would die,
She touched my face,
"Oh darling?"
"Don't cry my sweetheart,"
"You will soon be dead,"
"don't fight with the fates,"
"You see it's not my fault you are foolish,"
"Running around at night with books like you are a library?"
"You want too be too many things out of life"
"A writer..."
 she threw something that sounded like pens on the floor,
"a genius.."
She tore pages from one of the books,
"even a sports man..."
She must have found the squash balls in my shopping bag,
Tush...
My body jacked,
I waited to wake up in heaven,
But I was alive,
"relax darling... It's just champagne"
"We are celebrating our marriage,"
She pulled out the ring off my finger,
Then she slapped me,
Talk to me little man,
She punched me in the face,
"You see if you just bought one thing,"
"Maybe maybe you would be able to run,"
"Now see your greed is going to cost you your life,"
"let's play William Tell again... Shall we"
As she walked away,
Champagne couldn't help her accuracy,
We all know what alcohol does,
She was not a thief,
She was a mad woman,
A serial killer perhaps,
I knew if I didn't do something,
I would be dead,
I went into my back pocket,
I took out a pen knife,
And cut the condom that tied my arms,
I was determined to save myself,
I turned all of a sudden,
Jumped up...
And threw my pen knife,
It I sent it flying in circles and circles,
If I missed I would be dead for sure,
And I heard a loud cry,
And it stopped suddenly,
I freed myself myself,
And walked towards her,
She lay there
With a knife in her chest,
It was such a shame she was so beautiful,
Her heart was bleeding,
I took her hand and pulled out my ring,
I picked the bottle of champagne and took a sip,
What a waste of such a nice piece of ass,
I got into her pocket,
Took out her purse,
I had to know what this mad woman's name was,
I took out her drivers license,
I saw her face on it,
She had one name
"Fate"
I left her body lying down on the dark streets,
But I wasn't going home with nothing,
I walked back to the shop again,
Nakumatt is a twent-four hour mall you know,
Picked everything I had picked before,
I saw a lawyer buy just one dark red designer tie,
I saw a Christian buying one bible and walking out,
I saw a lover buy just one champagne bottle,
no one bought more than one thing,
Except me,
"why do you carry so much baggage,"
"They will drag you,"
"You will never reach you destination"
"The streets are not safe"
Why was this stranger talking to me,
He had one squash racket,
He must have been a sports man,
Just a sports man cause he had nothing else in his shopping bag,
I ignored him,
I wasn't going to be like him,
I needed a full shopping bag,
I needed the Investors Journal,
How else would I become a wealthy man?
Without keeping up with business news,
I needed a new guitar how else would I entertain myself,
I needed a pack of condoms,
How else would I protect myself?
I needed apples to be healthy,
An apple a day keeps the doctor away doesn't it?
I needed a new phone to maintain my friends,
I needed the complete works of Shakespeare?
How else was I going to be a better writer,
I needed a squash racket and squash balls,
How else would I become a good sports man,
I needed a full shopping bag,
I wasn't going to be like everyone else,
Afraid of Fate,
Who dictates,
That if you want to reach Home,
Your destination,
You can only reach their with a small shopping bag,
The streets were completely dark,
I walked out of the shop again,
This time the streets were completely empty,
I would be on a lonely path home,
I met the hungry hawker standing outside the shops again,
"you want another one, god bless you thank you"
I handed him a five hundred shilling note,
He handed me the pen knife,
That was my gift to Fate,
I knew their were more of Her out there,
This time I hid it under my sleeve.